Friday, April 13, 2012

Why I'm leaving my Swiss Army Knife behind

What? It can't be. I've carried my Swiss Army knife since I was 8 y/o. Its been to Europe, Alaska, the Rockies, the Sierras, The Presidentials. Its been stalwart.
Nevertheless, I'm leaving it behind. I'm joining the ranks of Leatherman carriers. I've not seen a single review that specifies the tool by tool advantage for adventure trekkers. So here is why I'm making the switch:

Leatherman Charge AL vs. My Swiss Army Knife
  • Main blade- a longer blade made with 154cm steel, its stronger and holds its sharp edge longer. The blade also locks, allowing pressure to be applied and decreasing risk of injury.
  • Serrated knife- separate from main blade, this is ideal for cutting rope, fibrous items and plastic (most common material in today's equipment)
  • Pliers/wire cutters- This is now imperative for today's equipment. Its needed for gear repairs, including valves on backpacking stoves; extracting fishhooks; bending wire; handling sewing needle on leather and thick material; and fabricating, modifying, and repairing gear in the field 
  • Saw- adequate for stake fabrication, pole repairs, small sticks used in emergency shelter, etc.
  • Scissors- The most used tool on my Swiss Army knife is also found on the Charge. It cuts moleskin, bandages, paper, fabric patches, food packaging, etc.-- must have!
  • File- In addition to fixing that hangnail or smoothing a rough plastic edge, the Charge's filewill also file metal and wooden materials.
  • Diamond file- File hatchet blades or other knives
  • Can opener- I don't bring can's backpacking, but this is a great tool for overnighters found on both my Swiss Army knife and the Charge. They work exceptionally well. 
  • Bit drivers- My Swiss Army knife has both flathead and Phillips head drivers, but today's lightweight and technical equipment often requires microscopic, torx or hex heads. Charge's bit system allows me to switch bits for any of those requirements. I can even tighten my glasses.
  • Handle- The 4" handle on the Charge is a far more comfortable and allows me to establish a more stable grip and more torque than the Swiss Army knife. The locking mechanism for all tools creates  

No comments:

Post a Comment