Sunday, May 6, 2012

2012 Fat Boy to Mt. Ogden

Every Spring I call my first significant hike "The Fat Boy," due to the excess weight I seem to gain over the Winter. This year's Fat Boy was a climb of Mt. Ogden via Beus and Burch Canyons. This is a West approach of the peak that towers over the city of its namesake. Most people summit during the summer from the easier East side where they start much higher and simply hike up a narrow jeep road from Snow Basin Ski Area. It puts them within spitting distance of the summit. But, that wouldn't be very manly, would it?
Waterfall on Beus Creek
On this day, Cinco de Mayo, a quick cold front moved in and dusted the peaks with clouds, wind and a frosty snow at high elevations while the valley below enjoyed a gardenlike day. The Beus Canyon route is one of the more challenging in the Ogden region, with a 4,300' elevation gain in under 6 miles. While not the steepest I've conquered, it presents a formidable task, especially in Spring while lingering snow adorns the ridges and gulches.
I recommend this hike to those who are reasonably fit and have a full day to dedicate to summiting. It took me 7 hours for the 12-mile round trip, including a 40-minute break at the summit, and route finding due to remaining snow pack. I kept a steady pace without any real rest periods on the ascent. That should give you an approximation of the time you may need. 
Upper Burch Creek Canyon & DeMoisy Peak
Beus Canyon Trail is a scenic creekside path with a steady ascent. Water is plentiful on the first quarter of the hike. Reaching near the back of the canyon, the trail cuts up and over a ridge into Burch Canyon. The trail then narrows and continues through brushy gambel oaks to the base of DeMoisy Peak.


View down Burch Creek Canyon from ridgeline

Looking back down ridgeline on ascent

Normally, the trail then switches back to gain the ridge. However, snow pack covered the trail requiring a direct ascent to gain the ridge.  The wind chill was considerable, but kept the snow hard and stable as temps approached 40 degrees.
Once on the ridgeline, a relentless traverse ensued to reach the saddle before the summit. I say relentless, because I was hungry and hadn't rested for nearly 4 hours. Just before reaching the saddle a few clouds materialized and blew frost and snow, flocking the pines around me.
I could feel the temperature drop almost instantly as my hands screamed for the mittens. I would've preferred to drop eastward of the ridge were it not for a precarious angle and rather doggedly rugged route.
Summit approach
The final summit approach was a kick, opening up spectacular views. The reward included a picturesque 360-degree unobstructed view. By now, cloud vapor intermittently appeared then vanished, revealing a clear blue sky in the valley. Escaping the wind, I huddled in an alcove on an eastern facing cliffside. I munched a scrumptious lunch and enjoyed the view from my delicate perch.   

South view (DeMoisy Peak) from summit & cloud vapor.


No comments:

Post a Comment